DAMASCUS, May 16 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian presidential campaigns have officially started on Sunday as posters of President Bashar al-Assad and the two other candidates filled the squares and streets in the capital Damascus.
Under the theme "Hope is in Work," Assad has started his campaign where his posters, most of which were presented by Syrian businessmen and celebrities, filled the main streets in Damascus and other provinces.
His two competitors, Mahmoud Muri and Abdullah Saloum Abdullah, have got fewer posters in comparison due to the popularity of Assad.
Muri, a lawyer and a member of the Syria-based opposition, has started his campaign under the banner "Together" with a prominent slogan speaking about the need to "release all political detainees."
For Abdullah, the third candidate who was also a member of the Syrian parliament and a former state minister, his campaign features slogans about investments.
The election day is slated for May 20 for Syrians abroad and May 26 for Syrians inside the country amid street banners urging people to take part in the vote for the "future of Syria."
- 欧美文化:Feature: UK takes big step toward normal life with caution urged
- 欧美文化:Xinhua Commentary: Exchange of violence only pushes Israel, Palestine farther from peace
- 欧美文化:Over 2,300 cases of India-related coronavirus variant recorded in UK: health secretary
- 欧美文化:U.S., EU to start talks on steel tariffs imposed during Trump administration
- 欧美文化:208 dead, at least 1,500 injured in week of Israeli-Palestinian hostilities: UN